30 degrees and sleeting.
The perfect weather for the Surly Krampus’s maiden voyage.
Cobbled together with trickle down parts from my Niner, it felt like a bike should: sure-footed, fast, and fun.
Surprisingly confident on wet bridges, rocks, and roots, even after the wet turned icy.
By far the most playful bike that I’ve ridden in the fat, or pseudo-fat, category.
Build spec (for all the fellow bike dorks out there):
– Krampus frame, Rabbit Hole rims, 29×3 Knard tires, of course.
– DMR hubs; reasonably cheap, light enough, and, most importantly, adaptable.
– Tires set up tubeless using the method seen on While Out Riding (http://www.whileoutriding.com/tag/knard)
– X9 rear shifter and derailleur (plain old, Type 1, 10sp)
– LX triple crank with single Race Face 32t ring
– BB mount MRP 1x chainguide
– Avid Juicy 7 brakes
– Headset: Cane Creek ZS44 top/EC44 bottom with crown race adapter for easier fork swaps.
***With bars, stem, seatpost, grips, pedals: 28 lbs. on the nose